[Sca-cooks] Period German Recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 13:52:00 PDT 2001

Volker Bach <bachv at paganet.de> wrote:

>Also, there is a very nice almond tart in the cookbook of Sabina
>Welserin that I can share a proven redaction for if you want it
>(heavy and sweet, ideal for dark winter days).

Yes, pretty please, share.

>I can also recommend from tasting experience (not cooking) the
>'filled eggs' presented in a low German cookbook c. 1500 that I have
>an (untested) redaction for, again happy to share if you want it.

Yes, please, again :-)

>Try the sauce of tart cherries from Meister Eberhart. Recipe on
>request (sorry, pressed for time right now). Very good, and
>SCA-tested at this years Horseradish War.

Mmmm, this sounds good. Ok, so please share a third time...

>Red cabbage? Very good, and very German. Cut up small and briefly
>fried, then simmered with onions and apples...

Is this method of cooking cabbage "period"? It sure sounds tasty...
If it is, i can probably figure this out myself. What seasonings are
likely, besides salt and pepper?

>If you're happy with fish, you might want to try the Jerusalem Spis
>from gute spise:

Thanks for this recipe. I've been mulling over fish. I think most
folks around here would eat it...

>If I can be of assistance with any translations let me know.
>
>Giano

Thanks for your suggestions. I look forward to the recipes... (can
you include the original translated into English, also?)

Anahita / Subaytila