[Sca-cooks] Hard Cheese

Tollhase1 at aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 19:16:07 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/1/2001 9:25:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> What would happen if you would try to make a hard cheese with
> pasteurized, non-homgenized milk without using the calcium chloride?
>
>      Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

It is my understanding that you would loose a lot of the curds as they would
not separate the same way. The cheese would not be as firm as a typical hard
cheese.  I add a citric acid powder and a vegetable rennet to my cheese.  But
I am not anywhere ready to try hard cheese.  At least my family likes my
mistakes so far.

Frederich