[Sca-cooks] Upcoming Menu

Renaissance Girls rennaisancegirls at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 2 19:38:18 PDT 2001

Greetings all!
First, I wanted to talk about the Yucca recipe I
posted.  Yes, you peel it like a potato, cut it up in
fairly large chunks, and boil the chunks until tender.
 Sorry I wasn't more specific with that.

Second question, is apple cider period?  How about
hard cider?

Third question (boy I have a lot of questions!).  I am
planning our upcoming hearty sideboard.  It's not a
full, sit down feast, but a very hearty side board.
The theme is mid-late sixteenth century.  If anyone
has any ideas, or recommendations, they would be
greatly appreciated!  Thanx everyone in advance!  Most
of the recipes are from The Libre del Coch, which is
on , Stefans Florilegium.

Blades and Blarney
Menu

Drinks
Ice water with fruit, (Agua helada con fruta)
Lemonade, (Lemonada)
Spanish chocolate drink, (Chocolata)
·	A mixture of chocolate, milk, honey, vanilla and
spices.  This is a bit of an updated recipe using
honey, as the original had no sweetener at all.
Served cold.

Tapas (Little Meals)
Ham croquettes, (Croquettas de jamon)
·	Small, fried croquettes of ham, bread crumbs, and
various spices.  Served with Mustard.

Figs, (Comer Higos a la Francesa) vegetarian
·	Stewed in white wine and spices.

Fritter of New Cheese, (Fruita de Queso Fresco)
vegetarian
·	Somewhat like fried dough, with cheese in the dough
mixture.  Served savory with the mustards, sweet with
the honey, cinnamon, or the butter.

Fried Eggplant, (Verenjena frita)  vegetarian
·	Sliced, breaded, spiced and fried.

Beef, Fish & Cheese pastry, (Empanada de Carne o de
Pescada) vegetarian (cheese)
·	Puff pastry with three different fillings of beef,
fish, cheese and spices.

Breads, (Pan)  vegetarian
·	Homemade breads.

Hearty
Pastry of Roast hen on the Spit, (Empanada en asador
de Gallina Asada)
·	This is a variation on the original recipe, which
stuffs an entire hen.  Chicken fillet wrapped around
egg yolks and spices.

Chicken and Fruit Stew, (Manchamanteles)
·	Chicken pieces with sweet potatoes, plantain, etc.

Nun's Eggplant Casserole, (Como se han de hazer las
berengenas) vegetarian
·	A casserole of eggplant, bread, spices and cheese.

Sweets
Rosquillas, (Rosquillas)  vegetarian
·	Somewhat between a bagel and biscotti.  Served
hearty with the herbed or honey mustards, sweet with
the honey or herbed honey, cinnamon, or either the
honey or herbed butter.

Tortillon, (Tortillon)   vegetarian
·	Stuffed pastries of dates and currants.

Baked Apples, (Manzana asada)  vegetarian
·	Apple cored, filled with raisins, cinnamon, honey,
and studded with cloves.

Condiments  vegetarian
Honey Mustards, (Mostaza con Miel)
·	Homemade mustard with honey.

Honey Mustards, (Mostaza con espicies)
·	Homemade mustards, with spices.

Honey, (Miel)
Herbed Honey, (Miel con espicies)
·	Honey with cinnamon, cardamom and Ginger.

Herb Butter, (Mantquilla con espicies)
Honey Butter, (Mantquilla con Miel)

Again, any advice, suggestions, etc would be greatly
appreciated!  We do not have a full kitchen where we
will be, so my plan is to make everything ahead of
time, and then warm up at the site what I can, and fry
at the site what I can.

=====
A proud member of the...
Shire of Glenn Linn