[Sca-cooks] Upcoming Menu

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 2 20:12:49 PDT 2001

On 2 Sep 2001, at 19:38, Renaissance Girls wrote:

> Second question, is apple cider period?  How about
> hard cider?

Yes, cider is period.  Most cider would have been hard cider, since
they lacked the preservatives that prevent sweet cider from
fermenting.

> The theme is mid-late sixteenth century.  If anyone
> has any ideas, or recommendations, they would be
> greatly appreciated!  Thanx everyone in advance!  Most
> of the recipes are from The Libre del Coch, which is
> on , Stefans Florilegium.

> Drinks
> Ice water with fruit, (Agua helada con fruta)
> Lemonade, (Lemonada)
> Spanish chocolate drink, (Chocolata)
> ·	A mixture of chocolate, milk, honey, vanilla and
> spices.  This is a bit of an updated recipe using
> honey, as the original had no sweetener at all.
> Served cold.

> Hearty
> Pastry of Roast hen on the Spit, (Empanada en asador
> de Gallina Asada)
> ·	This is a variation on the original recipe, which
> stuffs an entire hen.  Chicken fillet wrapped around
> egg yolks and spices.

Are you keeping the crust part of the recipe?  That's what makes it
an "empanada".

> Condiments  vegetarian
> Honey Mustards, (Mostaza con Miel)
> ·	Homemade mustard with honey.
>
> Honey Mustards, (Mostaza con espicies)
> ·	Homemade mustards, with spices.
>
> Honey, (Miel)
> Herbed Honey, (Miel con espicies)
> ·	Honey with cinnamon, cardamom and Ginger.
>
> Herb Butter, (Mantquilla con espicies)
> Honey Butter, (Mantquilla con Miel)

You have a lot of honey-based condiments.  Instead of the spiced
honey, how about making some Cider Sauce, which is a period
recipe and tastes good on bread?  Anahita's webpage has my
translation of the recipe, my redaction, and her redaction.
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/sauce.html#apple

Also, how about a soup?  It's filling, and comforting in cold weather.
 You can make it offsite and heat it in a crockpot, if need be.
Potaje de fideos (noodle soup) has several variants, one of which is
 fideos cooked in chicken broth with grated cheese.
Cebollada (onion soup) is also a nice hearty dish.  There is a
redaction by Mistress Elizabeth in the Miscellany at
www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Misc9recipes.pdf

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net