[Sca-cooks] OOP: 1911 German cookbook, free to a good home

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 07:50:18 PDT 2001

You know you're a cookbook addict when you buy them in
languages you can't read.  I was browsing in my favorite used book
shop, and I came across an interesting title on the $0.50 discount
shelf.  I figured I could find someone who wants it.

It is _Neues Stuttgarter Kochbuch_ by Friedr. Luise Loffler,
published in 1911 in Stuttgart, Germany.  It seems to be a basic
cookbook of the era.  The first few chapters seem to be about
kitchens and kitchen implements, and there are interesting
drawings of food grinders and such.  There are advertisements for
cooking-related products in the front and back.  Most of the recipes
are German, of course, but there are a few international dishes,
such as Irish Stew, Pommes Frites, Polenta, and Macaroni
(Italienische Nudeln).

The book is clothbound, and is in very poor physical condition.  The
binding is half-off, and some of the pages have come loose.  But I
suspect it would be interesting to someone who could actually read
it.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net