[Sca-cooks] Period food myths

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:59:37 PDT 2001

I'm trying to throw together an A&S class for the upcoming Grey Niche War,
and I need some ideas.

I had planned a class on period food myths: you all know the ones, the whole
rotten meat thing, the one about Marco Polo bringing noodles from China, all
that.  I had also planned to list ten things that may or may not be period,
and discuss what evidence we have for or against.  I've got about eight
things on the list: corn, potatoes, bananas, baking soda, turkey, bratwurst,
squash, and honey butter. I had thought of including white beans and French
toast (pain perdu), but if anyone can come up with something better, that
would be great.

Also, what are your favorite period food myths, and how would you debunk
them? (I'm still casting around for evidence to kill the whole 'remove'
thing.)

In Service,

Vicente