[Sca-cooks] Apprentices and skunks

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 6 19:37:20 PDT 2001

> p.s.  The Little Yellow Dog, stoopid though she be this soon out of
> puppyhood, and Son of Puck's purebred miniature ragmop just nailed a skunk
> in the gardens at Puck's Glen.  While the Cute Little Red Haired Girl finds
> this eminently distasteful, I am rather happy that the training has taken
> hold.  They think they were protecting us, and in particular young Maggie,
> from an intruder.  After intense distribution of smackerels and much praise
> from yers truly accomanied by much cursing, wailing and gnashing of teeth by
> She Who Must Be Obeyed, I wondered as the pups were carted off to the bath
> with gallons of vinegar in tow....are there period recipes for dead skunk?
> Dog smackerels?  Cute Little Red Haired Girl?  )nevermind, got that one
> covered already...)
>
> regards, Puck

Huzzah for the conquering heroes, who protect us from such vicious wildlife!

The vinegar and other acid-based dog washes for skunkage have not worked for
me, or rather for Canine Morale Officer Tegan here.  What we did that worked
was to make up a concoction of 1 quart of peroxide [two standard bottles], 1/4
cup of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of liquid soap, mix well and rub into the
skunked portion of a well-wet dog.  Two run-throughs of this rendered Tegan
able to come in the house, a couple more iterations seem to have cleared up the
problem.  The puir bairn hates water in any quantity larger than a drinking
bowl, so she got lots of treats and reassurance while this process went on,
about 1 month ago.

Oh don't look at me like that, this was a recipe wasn't it?

Selene, Caid