[Sca-cooks] Evil Bookshop vortex OOP

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:55:02 PDT 2001

Having been sucked (kicking and screaming Of course :-p) in to a Bookshop by
the Evil Lurking Vortex, I chanced upon a single remaindered copy of the
book "Gingerbread : things to make and bake" by Layman & Morgenroth.

Looks like I will soon have very little excuse for not turning out "Works of
wonder" subtelies (yes Olwen - I'll try to remember to photograph any that
make it presentation stage :-p)

BTW - the recipe of Gingerbread in the book calls for "light corn syrup" -
anyone know if it's common to Australian stores (or if it's known by a
different name) before I go off hunting for it tomorrow??
(it says that Dark brown sugar can be substituted but will make the finished
product darker)

Recipe reads -

6 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspons ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup margarine
(All US measurements - !!Ooohh - I'll get to break in the measuring tools
Olwen sent me :-p)

Also - I've failed to keep any of the previous posts on Period gingerbread
recipes [my bad - just didn't know I'd be needing it so soon]. I remember
that Honey is involved.  Can someone possibly repost it to me?

Many thanks!

Mari
(PS book has a scrummy church creation with stained glass windows, I'm gonna
have sooo much fun! :-p)