[Sca-cooks] German Recipes: Mushrooms?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 11:45:41 PDT 2001

First, thanks to everyone who has made suggestions, especially to
Volker Bach. And of course to Stefan for the Florilegium which i was
searching even before he suggested it :-)

Second, anyone know of any German recipes for Mushrooms? I've found
several from other cultures, but no German ones...

Third, there's no recipe for Cabbage in Sabrina Welserin, at least
not the version on-line. However, i did find cabbage recipes in other
German sources.

ONE

http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/recipes.html
# 48: Source: Das Buch von Guter Spise
Translated & Reacted by Alia Atlas
copyright Alia Atlas

Ingredients
2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp ground anise
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp saffron (opt)
1 head of Cabbage

Directions:
Mix vinegar, honey, and spices
Wash cabbage and shred.
Soak cabbage in marinade for at least 1 hour.

The original is on Thomas Gloning's website.

TWO

And there's an interesting one that was posted to this list Tue, 14
Mar 2000, by Allison <allilyn at juno.com>
Subject: Re: SC - To make a tarte of Medlers

----- Begin Quote -----
Thomas mentions: If this recipe does not please you ("Medlers that be
rotten"), there are other recipes, e.g. in the "Rheinfrânkisches
Kochbuch"

#31 in the RK is for cabbage, but says you can also do medlars, pears, etc.

The same cabbage you can also prepare, in this put sweet spice powder
and figs that are simmered in boiling water (or possibly just plumped
rather than cooked). Give into it wine vinegar, strew raisins and
almond kernels over it. You can also do medlars, pears and all the
other ingredients (types of fruits or vegetables?) as you choose and
not only the beet greens, but also slices of the beets from which the
beet greens were taken.

This is a fairly loose translation. I take it to mean that the
medlars, pears, or other fruits could be used in place of the figs
and/or raisins.

I steamed a whole Savoy cabbage for High Table, interleaved it with
steamed chard, making a nice contrast of pale and dark green leaves,
and stuffed bits of figs, raisins, almonds and wine into the crevices
of the leaf bases. Threw nasturium petals over, to jazz up the looks.
The hollowed center of the cabbage was full of a sort of large
meatball, taken from Gwen-Cat's 'pumpes' from her translation of
Rumpole. King Christopher loved it.

Other folks got the pumpes, but we didn't cook the chopped
cabbage--too late and everybody full.
----- End Quote -----

There are several in Rumpolt, but not useful for my feast. I'll most
likely do the one from Guter Spise using red cabbage for color ...is
red cabbage period?

I've almost got my menu together... will post when i've made
decisions about about the sweet and savory entremets.

Anahita / Subaytila