[Sca-cooks] Can't afford the SCA?

Anne du Bosc mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 18:34:45 PDT 2001

Glen wrote:
>>I can't afford good armor to fight with and
period costumes. The closes
thing I have is my kilt that is being made, it is

a hand sew kilt warrior
fashion with box pleats made out of ancient
Crawford tartan.<<

Welcome to the list.  I'm glad you unlurked.
First, you don't have to fight to enjoy the SCA.
I was close to 50 before I found the Society, and
nearly crippled with a bad back, but I have
enjoyed every moment.
Second, all we require is an attempt at medieval
garb of some sort.  A quick and dirty tee tunic
is an attempt.
Third....well, kilts with sewn pleats don't show
up in the documentation until well past the
period we celebrate.  A period kilt would be a
straight piece of wool, gathered and held in
place with a belt.  Any pattern would do,
including a solid color.  The Crawford Tartan did
not represent the Crawford Clan officially until
 the late 17th century or early 18th century.

Mordonna