[Sca-cooks] Turkish Delight

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 06:43:57 PDT 2001

Mari, I have a lot of recipes that don't use gelatin.  In fact, one cookbook
(which I am too lazy to run downstairs and get <G>) offers both a "quick"
version with gelatin, and a "traditional" version without.  If you like, I
can scan those to you on the weekend.

I did look for some online sources. Turkish Delight is known as "lokum" or
"lokkum" and other variant spellings.  You might also look under those for
recipes.

The ones that don't have gelatin have modern things such as cornflour, so
are probably also not period, this is a very typical one:
       http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/1409/tdelight.html

This site has seventeen different recipes for Turkish Delight; I have not
reviewed them all:
        http://paml.alastra.com/recipes/candy/default.html

This one is for ice-cream, yum:
        http://www.ziyad.com/recipes/turkish_delight_recipe.htm

                                        ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                                 (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)