[Sca-cooks] Minor food content to tragedy coverage...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 14 06:47:17 PDT 2001

Hullo, the list!

I thought most of you would be pleased to hear that in spite of
everything it is more or less business as usual for much of New York
City, in sign whereof I offer the following food-content tidbit:

In a WB Network news report on retaliatory anger and assaults against
American citizens of Middle Eastern descent, I just spotted the familar
face of Charlie Sahadi, owner of one of the oldest and finest Middle
Eastern groceries in the U.S., the man whose name is on perhaps half the
canned goods that other Middle Eastern groceries sell. He would seem to
be a rather influential M.E. community leader in New York's downtown
Brooklyn.

He said something to the effect that if people were determined to be
stupid, they would be stupid, but that his neighbors all know him, and
he only hoped that nothing would happen to the heirloom Christmas
decorations he puts up in his store every year...

(Charlie is a Lebanese Christian.)

May the grey skies and pouring rain bring everybody a brighter day.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com