[Sca-cooks] German Feast Success - long

upsxdls_osu at ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Sun Sep 16 21:56:52 PDT 2001

All,
Saturday, September 15th we held our local event:  Mooneschadowe Guardian XXI.
I had my first experience as Feast Steward (Feastocrat or Kitchen Goddess,
etc.) Now that I'm home from the event, had a shower and a nap, I'd like to let
you all know it was a huge success.

At one point on Saturday, the heavens opened up and we had a deluge of rain.  I
kept expecting Noah to cruise by.  We had reserved or sold only 85 feast
reservations as of noon.  We had planned for 100 with 20 additional
compensated; royalty, servers and musicians.

At this point, there is some question as to how many people actually paid for
and attended feast.

Bear arrived at site on Friday to find there was no water in the kitchen. He
called the camp ranger, who worked on the plumbing until water was restored.
However, there was another problem that caused us to lose water pressure. By
the time I finally made it to site (around 6 pm) the water supply was still
uncertain, so we had to restrict usage of the bathrooms in the building.

Bear baked semmel and rye bread for the feast, finally making it to bed at
around 3 am. My mistake was camping downwind of the feast hall, and having to
smell the baking bread all night.  I had wonderful dreams.

I was up at 6 am (as usual) and quietly hit the kitchen to make coffee and plan
the day's schedule.  Not wanting to disturb Bear and Margurite, I didn't set
off the food processor or anything.  I just did inventory of what we had, and
snitched a roll.  All I could say was "ummmmmm."  By the time Bear and
Margarite got up, the rest of the supplies arrived and I went to town to pick
up the meats.  BTW, did you know Bear would bake homemade cinnamon rolls for
breakfast if you ask politely and bat your eyes?

The ranger came by and warned us he was working on the water, so we were more
prepared when the water again went off.  But when it came on again, we didn't
have another problem with it.

Bear finished the Spanish Pastries for dessert and went to take a nap.  The
rest of us started cooking in earnest.  Despite all obsticles, feast was ready
to serve at 7 pm, the announced time.

The menu:

On table:
     Semmel
     Butter
     Honey
     Mustard(s)

First Course:
     Ruzzige Cake
     Knackwurst in Beer
     Sliced Cucumbers

Second Course:
     German Ravioli
          Chicken/Spinach
          Cheese/Spinach
     Red Cabbage Salad
     Pear Tart

Third Course:
     Pork Roladen (based on a stuffed suckling pig recipe)
     Roasted Carrots
     Applesauce
     Rye Bread

Fourth Course:
     Spanish Pastries

As soon as the food was ready, I turned service over to Gwennan, a wonderful
food expediter.  She has a wonderful touch with servers and portion control.  I
was actually in the way, so I took the time to visit the feasthall.  Everyone
was smiling and happy.  As I asked feasters about the food, I was overwhelmed
with responses.  Being suspicious, I slipped outside (OK, I needed an extra
smoke) to see if people were just being polite.  NO!

I received a lot of compliments. After the second course was served, I did hear
complaints about there not being enough raviolis. However, no one went away
hungry.  By the time the Spanish pastries were served, everyone was groaning.

During the subsequent court. I was awarded a Thistle for Cooking.  As I
approached the royalty and did my awkward curtsey, Baron Barn jumped up and
found a chair for me.  (He awarded me my AoA back in '98, when I arrived in
court on crutches from my broken leg.)

Now, I need to thank all my mentors and friends on this list for helping me to
succeed.
Cariadoc - for challenging me to work from period documents
Bear - for encouraging me to work from period documents, baking bread and
helping me succeed
Margarite - for keeping Bear happy and me calm during the "darkest before the
dawn" time when I was ready to cut and run
Translators of Sabina Welserin, "Das Boke" and Rumpolt, especially Gwen-Cat for
seeing I had the German Original to go with the on-line translations
Ras and Elysant - for stopping by the SPCA and tasting some of my redactions
and saying, "I'd pay money for this feast."
Everyone else for their encouragement and constructive criticism.

I have the greatest group of kitchen help, and especially, Wolfger, my Head
Cook for making me look good. I did my best to keep them fed and watered. And
the servers, who served the food with a smile, even though some had already
helped in the kitchen all day.

Anyway, it's over, my documentation is almost finished and I need to go back to
bed so I can get up, go to work, and bore everyone with "feast tales."

Liadan
who's feet are still hurting up to her hips