[SCA-Cooks] Re:cookies

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 17 05:15:54 PDT 2001

> After some consideration, and a few memories, I'm wondering about this
idea.
> When I was a kid, I knew which house handed out the best popcorn balls,
the
> best homemade cookies and the most wonderful cupcakes.  (OK, I knew who
handed
> out the "big" Hershey Chocolate bars, too.)
>
> Nowdays, every Halloween, we're advised to throw away those homemade
goodies,
> and take the Kids' candy to the hospital to have them x-rayed.

I amswer this -- especially since I disagree with giving kids sweets in such
quantity -- by giving away small toys, stuffed animals (usually saved for
the infants), books (VERY popular), and crafts kits.  I always end up with
one of the most popular homes on the street or in the apartment complex!
And they don't have to be expensive, I pick up items at the crafts stores
all year, in the sales bins, and the same with the bookshops' annual 80%-off
sales.  Toys you can get from party supply shops and sources such as
Oriental Trading.  Who needs food when you have bubble blowers and
kickballs?

> I'd hate to see anyones' hard work end up in the garbage.  I still would
like
> to exchange cookies or care packages.  I think I'll call the local
homeless
> shelter and donate some ingredients for cookies, still sealed, so I know
> they'll get used.

Most shelters around here do not have the staff or facilities for cooking.
They ask us to provide only fully prepared foods that require at most a
warm-up before serving.  You should call and see what they are able to
handle; your wonderful donation might end up in a food pantry instead.

I think that if people want to give cookies to the firefighters and police
and other rescue workers in New York, that's great.  But I don't understand
why that means they cannot be in the cookie exchange, which I thought was
happening three months hence?

                                            ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                       (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)