[Sca-cooks] Authenticity Police: since we're castigating extremists anyway.. .

Peters, Rise J. rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com
Tue Sep 18 07:06:07 PDT 2001

I've been in the SCA for 11 years, and for most of that time have been
wearing wench bodices and layers of point skirts and cotton chemises with
elastic.  It may be that I'm just too far gone to attract their attention
(maybe figuring I'm unsalvageable), but nobody has ever said anything
negative about my clothing since my very first event (Pennsic -- it was hot
-- I was walking around in an underdress and a tabard -- I really didn't
know that it was the equivalent of a slip and an overcoat, I thought I was
dressed!)

The most offensive behavior along these lines I've ever seen, though, was at
an event in Northern Virginia where someone took it on herself to give a
guest of mine a hard time about the unbleached rope belt he was wearing with
his perfectly authentic monk's robe.  She asserted that, standing there in a
monk's robe and sandals and a rope belt, he was pretending to be a member of
the chivalry.  She refused to let the topic go, and was so offensive that he
hasn't been back since.  But that's not "authenticity police", that's ...
I'm not quite sure what that is, besides bad manners to a guest.

Caitlin Cheannlaidir, OL (but not for costuming...<G>)