[Sca-cooks] grinding nuts

Jennifer Whitbeck jbwhitbeck at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 09:40:40 PDT 2001

Hi, all!

I have a specific question about grinding almonds for
marzipan.

I will admit that I am, so far, a food processor user.
Grinding by hand (with mortar and pestle) is a line I
am not yet ready to cross (kudos to those of you who
do!!!).

Now, I recently picked up a couple of those old, iron
grinders - that kind that includes a clamp to mount it
to a counter or table top and is most commonly, YMMV,
known as a "meat grinder." I got a bunch of other
"blades" for it that supposedly enable it to grind
different things to different textures. Some of these
are labelled. In particular, one is labelled "Nut
Butters".

Does anyone think that could be used effectively to
create a finer marzipan that what can be done in a
food processor? Does anyone have any experience with
grinding nuts in those grinders?

Maybe I'll get at least *closer* to period by 100
years. ;->

Many thanks!

   - Jennifer