[Sca-cooks] marinating meat

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Tue Sep 18 14:29:03 PDT 2001

How common is it in medieval recipes to specify
that the meat be marinated in oils or sauces
before cooking?

I thought that most of the adjustments for the
humors came from the cooking methods and
the sauces added or stewed in, rather than
marinated and grilled or baked.

I ran into this because a fellow judge told an
entrant that to improve their entry they should
have marinated the meat in the sauce before
cooking it.  Not that it appeared in the recipe
instructions... But she said she had seen one
recipe where it was done, but couldn't tell
what the source was.

I'm just trying to expand my knowledge from
people whose opinions I value and respect.

Kateryn