[Sca-cooks] Gjetost and stockfish

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Wed Sep 19 06:00:36 PDT 2001

   Gentle Cousins,

      I have two questions that I *think* are related by geography, if
nothing else.

      Several conversations ago, someone mentioned gjetost and mjetost.
I borrowed a book on cheese making that has a recipe in it for gjetost.
The impression I got from the list discussion is that you wind up with
something more liquid than solid.  The book says you wind up with a
solid.

    Is this a case of different interpretations of the same product, or
something else???

   In another conversation, someone said that you have to beat or hammer
stockfish to make it edible.   I have also read this *somewhere*, but the
technique was not described.   My only experience with dried meat is once
with that salted beef you make creamed chipped beef out of.   I soaked
that stuff to remove some of the salt, and made the cream sauce, and it
was fine without pounding.  What does the pounding do, and how do you do
it?  If you use butter in the process, when is it added?

   Thanks!

   Elizabeth
Tempus est, erat, non est.
(Time is, Time was,  Time is not.)