[Sca-cooks] [OT] Local natural hazards

Phil Anderson urizen at clear.net.nz
Sun Sep 23 06:57:14 PDT 2001

Morgana writes:

> >That's a volcano. Last time it went off, which was not its biggest
> >eruption, it's theorised that the blast was heard in China. This was
> >the world's largest volcanic eruption in the last few thousand years,
> >and the biggest ones are nearly an order of magnitude bigger than
> >that. Compared to a major Taupo eruption, Mt St Helens is down
> >around damp-firework status.
>
> I'll raise you the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes and the Good Friday
> Earthquake of 1964. And the little Mt. Redoubt incident [...]

The eruption that created the Valley of 10,000 Smokes is apparently
the biggest of the 20th century, but still significantly smaller than the
last Taupo eruption, let alone a _big_ one... Mt Redoubt is back
down with the ordinary volcanoes.

We can't match the 1964 earthquake just at the moment, but when
the Alpine fault lets go we very well might -- it should be an 8+. We
certainly expect this city to sink into the swamp when it happens,
which could be at any time.

Cheers,
Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard, Caid