[Sca-cooks] A visit to Wonderland

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sun Sep 23 05:02:15 PDT 2001

    Gentle Cousins;

       Did I ever have a weekend!!  I went to the Viking era demo in
Philadelphia, PA, by way of friends (Anarra and Ana) in the Shire of
Bright Hills in Atlantia.  The demo was fun, I got to play with a
warp-weighted loom.

      Anarra and Ana had been to a science fiction convention in Philly
over Labor Day, so we went to a hole in the wall Chinese bakery in
Philadelphia's Chinatown.  Got sausage rolls and pork rolls; the sausage
(I had just a bite) was nicely spicy, with a sweet-ish roll.  The pork
rolls had a sweeter filling, and the same sweet dough.  Anarra was
familiar with them from dim sum trucks that stopped at her school the
year she was in Hawaii.  This bakery had the most wonderful selection of
wedding cakes, the icing (or maybe spun sugar???) was like lace, as well
as being three dimensional.

     *Sunday* we went to Han Ah Reum Asian Mart in Cantonsville MD.
Northern Atlantian Cooks:  This store *Rocks*!!

    If you're in Bright Hills, treat yourself!  It really is like going
to wonderland!  I'm cooking for a Viking era demo at the end of October
and I found plenty of things to use.  They had an enormous produce
section: it was varied and there was lots and lots of what they had.
Fresh burdock, taro root, a spiny, greyish looking sort of vaguely
football shaped thing, and some of these things were still frozen; they
also had batatta and jicama.  Tiny, cute bok choy--labeled as bok choy in
English--fresh fennel, and a number of asian pears.  The prices were
extremely reasonable!

    I saw ox feet, beef, lamb, *fresh* rabbit, quail, cornish game hens.
They sell live fish, but we didn't get that far.  Dried Pollack--not
salted--a *wall* of seaweed, acorn flour, big cans of coconut milk, lots
of dried beans, but no dried favas.  They had fresh favas, though!  It
was throroughly crowded, and a little bewildering, as I speak zero Asian
languages.  I recognized some thing from my stint in the natural foods
industry, but there was plenty that was a puzzle!

   It was a great trip, and as we were leaving, the little bakery section
at the very front had crocodile shaped breads on display!    Baron
Tristan Alexandar and Anarra and Ana all know how to get to this store,
if you're in the Bright Hills area.

   Elizabeth

Tempus est, erat, non est.
(Time is, Time was,  Time is not.)