[Sca-cooks] Things flambeed.

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 26 13:16:59 PDT 2001

	Stefan wrote:
> Period stuff: Do we have any evidence of alcoholic beverages being
> used in period to creat flame effects for sotelties? While the
> liquor would have been expensive, those sotelties were often done
> for the well off and part of fancy festivities, so I can see where
> it could have been done despite the cost.

	I've actually been pondering that myself -- they
certainly had distilled alcohol in Period (at least in the
later times), but the only "flaming" agent I've seen in sotelty
instructions from Period is camphor.  Lotsa things cooked in
wine and beer/ale, too, but no mention of using liquors in
cooking or sauces.
	It may just be that I haven't been looking at the
right sources, but my own personal thought is that things
flambeed wouldn't be in Period style.

		-- Ruth