[Sca-cooks] Things flambeed.

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Sep 26 17:46:53 PDT 2001

Greetings from Johnnae llyn Lewis

Regarding flame effects:

According to C. Anne Wilson in Food and Drink
in Britain:
"It was about this time that spirits began to be
imported into England, at first by the Genoese and
later by the Dutch. For a while they were regarded
as something of a novelty, and their chief use, other
than as medicine, was in order to produce flaming
food as a party-trick for guests. A recipe of the
early fifteenth century tells how to pour aqua ardens
on to slices of rich mawmeny, 'then light it with a
wax candle, and serve it forth burning'. [p.381-382]

Johnna Holloway