[Sca-cooks] Flying your camp to Pennsic

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 28 05:34:47 PDT 2001

> Hey, how about Pennsic next year? This might actually be the thing that
> gets me there, instead of staying home and complaining about _not_
> going....although who knows what the airline restrictions will be like
> next summer? I can just _see_ trying to explain SCA camping gear and
> garb to some random baggage inspector.....;-P

Actually, I fly almost every year (especially since moving to Ansteorra),
and as long as you don't pack a propane anything, or the other explodables
that have always been banned from luggage, they really don't care.  The only
time I got stopped was when traffic delayed me and the ticket counter person
said to take my bags and gate-check them, DESPITE the fact that I pointed
out there was camping gear inside.

They stopped me for the mallet but not the tent stakes, and by that point I
ended up on the next flight to Pennsic.  *sigh*

More likely, they are going to ban all but essential carry-on luggage (such
as diaper bags for parents with children needing same, and a sack lunch on
the airlines that will no longer provide food), which I HOPE means they let
you check three bags instead of two.

                                            ---= Morgan

"In the dark times, will there be singing in the dark times?
  Yes, there will be singing about the dark times."
                                             (Bertolt Brecht: 1898-1956)