[Sca-cooks] Flying your camp to Pennsic

Tara tsersen at nni.com
Fri Sep 28 08:41:40 PDT 2001

> More likely, they are going to ban all but essential carry-on luggage (such
> as diaper bags for parents with children needing same, and a sack lunch on
> the airlines that will no longer provide food), which I HOPE means they let
> you check three bags instead of two.

Yuk, I hope not.  I could see them forbidding carrying on stuff that
could logically be checked, like clothing and general supplies.  I know
a lot of people pack light so they won't have to deal with checking
luggage, and that's unneccisary.  But I think there would be mutiny if
people couldn't carry on light toiletries (especially medicine,) books
and magazines or briefcases with work, food, a sweater, and delicate
souvenirs.  Especially on long, cheap flights without movies or meals,
like the 5.5 hour trip I took to Arizona last February.  Even with
knitting, two magazines and a good snack, it was a long, cruel flight.
If I'd had to check the raku vase I bought, I don't think I would have
taken the plane back.  The vase cost more than the ticket.

I don't think they *could* forbid carry-on food even if meals are
provided by the airline.  What if you keep extremely strictly kosher and
don't trust other people's estimation of kosher?  I've known some
Lubovich people to bring their own food to certified kosher wedding
receptions held in the basement of Conservative synagogues.  Or celiac,
or deathly allergic to a common ingredient, or extremely strict
vegetarian?  Or, if you're having an annoying first trimester to your
pregnancy and need to eat every two hours, like I have been, and don't
trust that you'll be able to stomach whatever they serve you even if
they do feed you often enough?

As for getting stuff to Pennsic, though, there are other options than
taking it all as luggage.  You could get together with other people in
your area and ship everything out freight on a train a few days before
you arrive.  Or, if one or two people in your area don't mind driving
out with a U-haul with everybody's stuff, that would probably be the
safest way - you know nothing would get lost.  'Course, that obviously
wouldn't work coming from Australia.  But, from most of the Continental
US and eastern Canada, two people taking turns driving could make the
trip in under three days.

-Magdalena