[Sca-cooks] saffron

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 30 00:12:36 PDT 2001

Phillipa asked:
> A question about saffron if you please.
> When I use saffron in a recipe, following the amount given to use in the
> recipe, it is as if there is no saffron at all. It looks no differernt and it
> tastes no differant.  So what am I doing wrong?

Several possibilities.
1) What you are using is not true saffron. Perhaps salflower(sp?).
2) The saffron you have is not the best saffron or it is old.

You might find these files in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of
the Florilegium useful:
saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by
Tony Hill.
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/saffron-art.html
saffron-msg       (53K) 12/21/99    Types of saffron. period uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/saffron-msg.html

I've been getting good, dark saffron at a good price from the Pepperer's
Guild.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net