[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Sep 1 22:40:53 PDT 2001

I'll have to dig it out of my cookbook shelf...it's late, tonight (at
least in MT), so it'll be tomorrow sometime.  IIRC, it's relatively easy
to do, but takes a LONG time...essentially, you're cooking the whey
(slow, even heat) for long enough for much of the moisture to evaporate,
and the remaining milk sugars to carmelize...the result is this superb,
caramel-brown goo that has got to be eaten to be believed. I made some
for Harvest Court last year, as I'd made a whole lot of fresh cheeses
for the feast, and had a lot of whey left over to play with.  Made
ricotta, too, and Queso Blanco...lots of fun.  If I had more room in
which to play, I'd love to try the hard cheeses sometime....
--Maire