[Sca-cooks] Jams & Preserves (Redaction)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 2 15:00:09 PDT 2001

Arglwyddes Rhiannahn uerch Rhianfellt uerch Rhydderch Rhayader asked:

> I am starting on my first redaction of preserves (yes this is for
> competition).  As I have had little yet to do with redacting a recipe on my
> own I was wondering if anyone else has tried to redact these types of
> recipes.  Most others I have spoken to have concentrated mainly on the
> basics - soups, mains & desserts.  As I have a ready supply I oranges (raid
> mum's tree) I have decided on an orange marmalet.  I have two books with
> differing recipes ... The English Housewife - Edited by Michael R Best &
> Delights for Ladies by Sir Hugh Platt.  I have one other book with similar
> recipes for marmalet of Quinces - The Good Housewife's Jewel by Thomas
> Dawson.   As I have had little experience with redacting or with jams &
> conserves I was hoping someone might have a few ideas or pointers for me.

You might find some of the recipes, comments and redactions in this file
in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium to be helpful:
marmalades-msg    (55K)  1/12/01    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html

Since you mention oranges and quinces, these files in the FOOD-FRUITS
section might also be helpful:
fruits-msg       (103K)  7/30/01    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruits-msg.html
fruit-citrus-msg  (45K)  3/26/01    Period citrus fruits. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-citrus-msg.html
fruit-quinces-msg (57K)  7/12/01    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-quinces-msg.html

I don't know if Baron Akim is still on this list or not, but he
brought some wonderful quince marmalade to Pennsic 29. Quinces need
to be 'past ripe' to be used. They are also expensive. So if you
can do as Baron Akim did, and catch the grocer with some of these
'past ripe' quinces on his hands, you may be able to get them at
a reasonable price. I don't think they come into season for several
more months, though.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net