[Sca-cooks] cherry wine/cider

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 2 18:46:23 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Cider is made from apples. Perry is made from pears.
>
> Surprisingly, I can't recall cherries (or cherry juice) being made
> into similar drinks. I don't mean cherry juice added to another
> beverage like mead.
>
> So, is there a alcoholic beverage made from cherries? If so, was it
> period?

Digby has a recipe (actually a couple of them) for cherry wine. I've
made the one which involves adding cane sugar; after some aging it makes
pretty good Bordeaux-type wine. If you consider Digby period, then it's
period. I'm not sure how much earlier such recipes occur.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com