[Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Sep 3 04:05:45 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/1/2001 1:20:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chirhart_1 at netzero.net writes:

> Hi . When I wrote of the calcium chloride this was only if you are to make
> hard cheeses from pasteurized milk. You are right about bag cheese.You do
> not need it for that but please don't discount it altogether.Before you tell
> some one you don't need it check it out.Makes you look good.

Ah, but I don't recall anyone specifying that they wanted to make *hard*
cheese.  I have no clue how to do that.  They just said *cheese*, and I knew
I'd made that without calcium chloride.  Admittedly, I didn't specify which
sort of cheese, but your statement was just as broad.  I still say you don't
"need" calcium chloride to make every kind of cheese, but admit that you do
need it to make certain sorts of cheese (which I did not know when I posted).
Also, the class I took on cheesemaking was an "in persona" class - so
anything like calcium chloride would either have been omitted, or obtained
through some period additive.  But then again, since it appears that you only
need it when working with pasteurized homogenized milk, and that didn't exist
in period, I guess you wouldn't need to obtain it anywhere.

Brangwayna Morgan