[Sca-cooks] Re: Masqued Ball

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Sep 3 13:20:57 PDT 2001

Marian Rosenberg schrieb:

> > 1.  Bake pie shell at 425F for 10 minutes.  Reduce temperature to 350F and
> > bake for an additional 5 minutes.  Let cool.
>
> While the topic of pie shells is out and about, is there any medieval
> way to make a pie shell (that is, without baking powder or baking
> soda?).  For the Post-Pennsic Dessert Revel Tamminus and I made a
> tardpolane and our pie shell (almond milk, flour, sugar ... ummm) turned
> out to be a very good plate upon which to eat the filling.

I'm not sure it's period, but I threw together
butter, flour, powdered sugar, egg yolk (and some
lemon zest) for an almond tart once and that
worked nicely without any chemical leavening
agent. For a savory pie you could always leave out
the sugar (I think - I haven't tried that yet).

> Since this is intended to be a finger foods event, I would make
> miniature pie shells and cook in greased ramikins (stainless steel ones
> are available at some dollar stores at $0.25 apiece), flip upside down
> onto those little paper circle things and garnish with a star pattern of
> slivered almonds, or, if feeling adventurous, a miniature marzipan rose.

hmmm - I always use muffin pans of the shallower
kind for small pies and tarts. Are those period? I
know they used pastry shells, but
finger-food-sized pies?

Giano