[Sca-cooks] Them Peanutses

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Sep 3 13:23:48 PDT 2001

david friedman schrieb:

> --
> (fascinating post giving two purported peanut recipes omitted)
>
> How sure are you these are really peanuts? Have you checked whatever
> the German equivalent is of the OED? It wouldn't be astonishing if
> the modern word for peanut applied to something else earlier; there
> are other examples of that sort of thing happening.
>
> I gather you are working so far from a secondary source in
> translation, which obviously makes it hard to check these things. For
> what it is worth, the OED gives the first usage of "peanut" in the
> 19th century and the first usage of "groundnut" (in a context where
> they assume it means the same thing, although it isn't entirely
> clear) in a seventeenth century account of doings in the New World.

I will do my best to find out, though I'm probably
looking at a long-view project here. However, my
etymological dictionary puts 'Erdnuss' into the
late 16rth century and relates it exclusively to
what is today called by that name. Wouldn't be the
first time for linguists to get it wrong, but
still... (de Rontzier is a courtly cook and may
well be working with exotic specialties).

> According to one webbed discussion of peanuts I found:
>
> "The first mention of the introduction to Europe is by Nicolas
> Monardes in Sevilla (1574). They were send to him from Peru. "
>
> Of course, one other thing to do is to make the recipes, starting
> with raw peanuts, and see how they come out.

I don't think I can even get raw peanuts here. But
I'll try.

Giano