[Sca-cooks] Them Peanutses

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Sep 2 16:05:40 PDT 2001

Lady Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

Given that I managed to trace the source to a 1598
original, I was wondering if perhaps they were in fact
really "peanuts" or not. I gather that what Giano has is
just the redaction without either the facsimile text or a
transcribed original text.
The recipes came from:
Kunstbuch von mancherley Essen /
Author(s):Rontzier, Frantz de. ; Lemmer, Manfred.
Publication:München : Heimeran,
Year:1979 1598 Language: German
1] Kunstbuch von mancherley Essen, gesotten, gebraten,
 posteten von Hirschen, Vogelen, Wildtprat und andern
 Schawessen so auff fürstlichen und andern Pancketen
 zuzurichten gehörich / gestelt durch Frantz de Rontzier
2] Kommentar und Glossar/ von Manfred Lemmer.
(Volume 2 includes the bibliographical references.)
Standard No: ISBN: 3806311528 (set); 3806311536
(leather : set); LCCN: 85-103761
It's part of a Facsimile set of two volumes of a copy
owned by the Herzog August Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel.

 The facsimile set is listed as being held
only at the Library of Congress in the United States. I
don't have much other information on this set, other than the
cataloguing entries. It is mentioned by Uta Schumacher-Voelker
in her article "German Cookery Books, 1485-1800."
She compares it to Rumpolt's 1581 Ein Neues Kochbuch, saying
"Only Frantz de Rontzier's Kochbuch (1598, one edition only)
is similarily rich in ingredients; this being the one other
cookery book of the era intended for a princely household."
PPC #6 p. 39.

Perhaps it's available in Germany and a set can be turned up by
Giano now that he has the details.

Johnna Holloway