[Sca-cooks] Them Peanutses

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Sep 2 15:30:32 PDT 2001

(fascinating post giving two purported peanut recipes omitted)

How sure are you these are really peanuts? Have you checked whatever
the German equivalent is of the OED? It wouldn't be astonishing if
the modern word for peanut applied to something else earlier; there
are other examples of that sort of thing happening.

I gather you are working so far from a secondary source in
translation, which obviously makes it hard to check these things. For
what it is worth, the OED gives the first usage of "peanut" in the
19th century and the first usage of "groundnut" (in a context where
they assume it means the same thing, although it isn't entirely
clear) in a seventeenth century account of doings in the New World.

According to one webbed discussion of peanuts I found:

"The first mention of the introduction to Europe is by Nicolas
Monardes in Sevilla (1574). They were send to him from Peru. "

Of course, one other thing to do is to make the recipes, starting
with raw peanuts, and see how they come out.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/