[Sca-cooks] Re: Apprenticing Again

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 3 16:21:42 PDT 2001

From: Marian Rosenberg <mail.server2 at verizon.net>

>  Just remember that if you don't get apprenticed to a Laurel it
might
>be harder to get your Laurel.  I know more than one Laurel who was
in
>the SCA for years and years and doing Laurel stuff for years and
years
>before anyone noticed that s/he *wasn't* already a Laurel!  By
being an
>apprentice, you have been formally recognized by the system.

Polite and serious disagreement from this corner.  Although one's
"mileage" may differ according to kingdom, all being an apprentice
does is give one an advocate IF the apprentice demonstrates peer
qualities and mastery of the craft.  In the Middle Kingdom, at
least, a person can be "Laurel quality" in craft, but if the elusive
"peer quality" isn't there, if the person wouldn't be regarded as
someone who would "give wise counsel to the Crown", then it is
unlikely that the person will be made a Peer by the Crown.  Becoming
an apprentice is being recognized by "someone" but not necessarily
"the system".  And, some mentors become inactive, leaving their
dependents to languish from lack of assistance.

Alys Katharine, OL, OP