[Sca-cooks] Re: Apprenticing Again

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 3 19:19:33 PDT 2001

Marian Rosenberg wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   Just remember that if you don't get apprenticed to a Laurel it might
> be harder to get your Laurel.  I know more than one Laurel who was in
> the SCA for years and years and doing Laurel stuff for years and years
> before anyone noticed that s/he *wasn't* already a Laurel!  By being an
> apprentice, you have been formally recognized by the system.
>
> -M

Not to jump on any particular bandwagon, but I can add my own experience
to those who've mentioned that many, many, peers are people who've never
been a protege, squire, apprentice, etc., and been recognized in four or
five years, or some other short time.

I served as apprentice to one of the most respected Laurels in my field
and in my Kingdom (where, it is rumored around the known world, it is
somewhat more difficult to attain the accolade than in some other
places). He taught me well. He helped me learn to reason and express
myself effectively, and to form my view of what a peer should be, and I
was his apprentice for eight years before receiving the accolade, after
a previous five years of cooking for and running events, holding
offices, etc.

The moral of my story is that some people would consider this a short
track, others a long time, still others just about right, and what I say
is that it was how long it took _for me_, and further that I became
apprenticed to Master Geoffrey because of who he is and what I felt I
could learn from him, and not to receive a wreathy thing from the Crown
in a particular time frame. I would like to think (and do think) that my
own apprentice holds similar views.

Yes, it _might_ be harder to get your laurel without being an
apprentice. It might be easier, and it might have no bearing at all.
There are just too many variables.
Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy