[Sca-cooks] Re: Apprenticing Again

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Sep 4 06:57:35 PDT 2001

    I dunno, my Laurel (Master Juan Carlos Perez) vanished from the face of
the earth after coming in second in crown list (this was the list that
determined our tenth year king). His wife (who REALLY wanted to be tenth
year queen) was . . . miffed. We suspect he's compost by now, the price of
failure. Seriously, he hasn't been seen since then . . .
    That was 6 years ago, and without a laurel to represent you and promote
you in circle, your chances are seriously diminished. I know, the official
party line is that it's quality of work and those ineluctable PLQs that
determines elevation, but when you really get down to the nitty-gritty, it's
politics, pure and simple. And without an advocate, you have a MUCH more
difficult time of it.
    Now, that's assuming you're TRYING to become a laurel - if you're doing
what you're doing for the sheer joy of doing it, then if you get elevated,
it's purer (at least IMHO) experience. I always have a bit of annoyance with
those who are obviously trying to grease their way into a Peerage.
(sycophants have their place, and it's not around me . . .)
    I was first apprenticed over ten years ago, and I was told by my master
(just before he disappeared), that I was on the watch list. Then he
vanished, and that was the end of THAT! However, I got my Pelican at our
tenth year anniversary coronation (which was even better), so I assumed the
circle moved me back, so to speak. No biggie. I've actually increased my
level of cooking, both in the tavern and feasts, and am having more fun than
ever. (More on the tavern in another post)

    Sieggy