[Sca-cooks] Re: Apprenticing Again

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 4 17:11:08 PDT 2001

>   Just remember that if you don't get apprenticed to a Laurel it might
> be harder to get your Laurel.  I know more than one Laurel who was in
> the SCA for years and years and doing Laurel stuff for years and years
> before anyone noticed that s/he *wasn't* already a Laurel!  By being an
> apprentice, you have been formally recognized by the system.

An observation from someone who isn't a peer or an apprentice or
protege, for blatant reasons. In some places, being beholden to a Peer
teacher can also limit your opportunities:

- in some areas, other peers seem to feel the need to get your Peer's
permission to teach you or work with you.

- in some places, people will hold your peer responsible for
'controlling' your behavior-- sometimes a peer will be asked to sponsor
someone as a 're-education case'.

- if people need the recommendation of a Peer teacher in order to consider
you, think about how much power that person will have over you if your
relationship goes sour.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa