[Sca-cooks] cherry wine/cider

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Sep 3 20:41:50 PDT 2001

Yes, MW's Booke seems to predate Digby. Having actually
sat down and read the one English biography of Digby
 published in 1956,
I have seen very little evidence that Digby really started
 his collection of recipes prior to Venetia's death in 1633.
 They were ordered into the published format by George Hartmann
 from Digby's rough notes made  after his death in 1665.
Karen Hess dates the
MWBofC to being copied in the 1650's( or even earlier)
from an earlier manuscript. See my post of earlier this
evening to Volker's query regarding this dating.
 No one that I have read in the past
20 years has challenged Hess on her dating of the MWB. It
can be described as Tudor-Jacobean, as many individual recipes
have counterparts in both Tudor (Elizabeth 1 was a Tudor)
and Jacobean cookery books. Compare for example Doctor Steephen's
Cordial Water which dates back to Cogan's work of 1584. Other
individual recipes also date back to or are similar to Plat,
Dawson, etc.

As to other cherry wine recipes, I'll post findings here later.
I'll have to pull other volumes off the shelf and do some digging.

Johnna Holloway