[Sca-cooks] Re: Butter and Brie and Yams, Oh my!)

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Mon Sep 3 09:39:23 PDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:44:51 +0200 UlfR <parlei-sc at algonet.se> writes:

><rant type="autheticity">
>I'm going to scream, but not at anyone present, unless said crown
>happens to be on the list; WTF does anyone do things like declare
>chocolate or pepsi period? It is the same as if, the king being a
>Linux fanatic, he declaired that computers running Linux were period. Or
>Teva sandals, sunglasses or Goth music. It's not period, and can not
>be make period by any means short of time-travel and messing with
>history.

     I much prefer the idea of people wearing 'clothes' as opposed to
'garb', and everything else that goes into making an illusion of being in
another time.  But not everyone is in the SCA for the same reasons I am.
I also discovered what it's like to be on the less authentic side of the
argument.

    I was part of a re-enactors' competition held every year at Jamestown
Settlement in Virginia.  The various groups were to be consistant with
their chosen timeframe--with one exception.  Coke resembles dark ale--so
the Jamestown Museum folk say, so we could drink that. (Heavens be
praised!)

   On the *other* hand, you had to be wearing appropriate eyewear for
your time period, or contacts.  Unfortunately, the friend who invited me
to join the group has 20/20 vision, and was not aware of the potential
problem.

   I have never in my life felt handicapped or discriminated against
until that demo.  I can see about a foot and a half without my glasses,
and only if I deliberately do not try to focus can I escape a migraine.
I had to take my glasses off when the judges were in camp, which reduced
me to sitting.

   Then there was the matter of my dress ...  What happened is that the
established members of the group formed opinions without asking me what I
had done.  I was invited back next year, with the proviso that the group
would help me with my clothes, and that something had to be done about my
glasses.

   I have better things to do with my time, actually.

   We all approach things differently, even in re-enacting groups, who
usually have a set of minimum standards.  Without asking someone, you
can't be positive that applique trim is satin blanket binding--it *could*
be plain silk!  The SCA has *one* standard, and that applies only to
clothing, and states that an attempt has to be made at pre-seventeenth
century clothing.

    Like so many things in life, we can only lead by example.  Gentle
prompts, and "killing 'em with kindness" are our best weapons, and
understanding friends who allow rants our best defense!

    Elizabeth