[Sca-cooks] Re: pie crusts

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Tue Sep 4 18:14:04 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Carroll-Mann" <rcmann4 at earthlink.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: pie crusts

> Granado has a Lenten version of pie crust that includes a bit of
> wine, IIRC.  Acids discourage the formation of gluten.

One pie crust I've made this summer, well, had fits over is more accurate is
the pie crust attached to the plum pie recipe in Sabina Welserin's cookbook:
70 a tart with plums, which can be dried or fresh
Let them cook beforehand in wine and strain them and take eggs, cinnamon and
sugar. Bake the dough for the tart. That is made like so: take two eggs and
beat them. Afterwards stir flour therein until it becomes a thick dough.
Pour it on the table and work it well, until it is ready. After that take
somewhat more than half the dough and roll is into a flat cake as wide as
you would have you tart. Afterwards pour the plums on it and roll out after
that the other crust and cut it up, however you would like it, and it on top
over the tart and press it together well and let it bake. So one makes the
dough for a tart.

So I took 2 large eggs and beat them. so good, so far. I slowly added a cup
of flour, it wasn't really pourable after the 1/4 cup, but it didn't look
like pie dough until 1 cup. Maybe I should have used only a 1/4 cup. Anyways
most pie crust recipes need to handled as least as possible, but this said
to work it well. After a brief knead, it began to look more like noodle
dough than pie dough. It was not a lot, either, so I attempted to roll out
the entire mess, er mass. The gluten was developed and so I could only roll
it out to a 1/4 inch. sigh. Well, it wasn't enough for my smallest (8 in.)
piepans, so I turned into a extra large plum turnover. After cooking, it was
edible, barely, and tasted more like a bread than a pie crust.

So, any advice or ideas before I try this one again?

Beatrix of Tanet
(the plums were really good, tho')