Queso Blanco.. Re: [Sca-cooks] New Cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 4 21:27:06 PDT 2001

Jadwiga said:
> > Jadwiga is already the home-made salsa queen.  This could elevate her to
> > new nacho heights.  By the way, Jadwiga, have you tried buying un-cooked
> > tortillas and cutting and frying them yourself?  Craig and I found a
> > Giant grocery store in a predominantly Hispanic area that sells them.
>
> Hm... I've never tried deep-frying them. When I went through my taco stage
> (before I joined the SCA, I had time to do things like can tomatoes. I
> also had the stomach to eat tomato-based food 7 days a week)... anyway, I
> used to use a little canola or soy oil in a well seasoned cast iron frypan
> and cook the tortillas until they were slightly puffy, before wrapping
> them around gooey taco filling. But I don't think that's what Stefan
> means. I'll have to try home cooked tortillas with the salsa.

Deep fried?!! I don't remember ever seeing tortillas fried that way.
Although maybe that's what they do in the fast food places. Usually
it is just a little bit of oil in a pan.

On the street corners in Mexico it was just the tortilla put on
the hot charcoal fired grills. But since they were cooking the meat
on the same grills, I imagine there was a some oil on the grills
from that. Those street corner tacos sure smelled good, but not
knowing the water the tomatoes and lettuce had been washed in, we
never got any.

Puffy? Were you trying to fry corn tortillas or flour ones? I was
specifically talking about frying corn tortilla pieces. The corn
ones will puff up some, mostly when cooking whole ones rather than
pieces, and no where near as much as the wheat flour ones.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net