[Sca-cooks] Cider

Phil Anderson phil at dev.spis.co.nz
Tue Sep 4 22:16:08 PDT 2001

Jadwiga writes:

>> While it's not inconceivable that other places have lost the
>> non-alcoholic meaning, I can't think of any references that
>> would imply this is the case.
>
> Well, I've read some books by Elizabeth Goudge that refer to both
> hard and sweet cider, and she was a mid-20th century British fiction
> writer.

Yes, there have been enough references that I'm less sure than I
was -- time to have a look at the OED in the library on the way home.

On the other hand, I'm used to "sweet cider" being contrasted with
"dry cider" -- the difference is in sweetness, not alcohol content.
(Give me the sweet stuff any day!)

Cheers,
Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard, Caid