[Sca-cooks] mission impossible

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 5 01:37:32 PDT 2001

Try this one....I translated recipes into pictogram form and the children
learned to read them
Flour was an ear of wheat, by a pile of 'stuff'
sugar was a pile of 'stuff' with a bee after it
eggs are obvious
milk was a carton etc..
then how many ounces was written by a picture of the weights (colour coded)
I also put the letters on. My kids learnt to read and count without noticing
what mum was up to.
the recipes were all lick the bowl or favourite for tea types. Don't be
scared to show him in a couple of years knife respect.
Children who know how to use knives cut themselves less than children who
are kept away from them..think novelty value.
my children also turned on the oven and checked the setting. About the only
thing I am allowed to do now is put stuff in the oven and take it out!!!My 6
year old follows the recipie herself.
good luck and invest in plenty of cleaning materials. If they don't get
flour on the ceiling they're not doing it right.
Vara