[Sca-cooks] Mission Impossible

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:07:31 PDT 2001

>    Being child-less myself, I'm a little at a loss to know what your
>average five-year old can handle as far as cooking goes--for example, we
>were putting the tins in the oven, and his arms are too short to reach
>the racks easily (Doh!)
>
>    Any suggestions?
>
>    Elizabeth

Adding ingredients, mixing, measuring (never too early to start math),
selecting recipes (pictures help and beginning the reading skills), fetching
dry ingredients, stressing the "clean as we go" skillsets, the rolling pin
is a friend, cookie cutters, clock watching, shopping.  Starting with food
that only takes a short time to cook.  Young folks have a shorter attention
span and can loose interest if they are say, waiting for a 3 pound roast
beef to cook.  Garnishing is always fun.  Wiping up and sweeping.  Best not
to let them get too close to the stove.  There are some really good and fun
kids cookbooks at the library.  I get a lot of ideas from them.
Olwen