[Sca-cooks] Kvas

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Sep 5 12:43:23 PDT 2001

Wrynne asked:
> I have a recipe for kvas and was wondering if anyone had made it, comments
> etc. I'm not particularly interested in drinking the stuff (although I'll
> try it), but I have a Russian recipe for a meat and kvas soup that I'm told
> isn't the same using beer (Ukrainian friend).  I don't have 1st source for
> either of the 2 recipes BTW.

The recipe you gave appears to be fairly close to some of the recipes I
have. Back at Pennsic 29, some of us planned to try the recipe for Kvas
using grape nuts cereal, but we didn't end up doing it, so I've never
tasted kvas myself.

You might see if any of the comments from the folks that have tasted
kvas in this file in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium are
useful to you. You could also compare the recipes given in this
file to yours.
kvass-msg         (71K)  6/20/00    Russian drink made from bread or
grains.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/kvass-msg.html