[Sca-cooks] Tongue

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Sep 5 16:15:48 PDT 2001

Anahita / Subaytila asked:
> Searching old messages to this list, I have found references to one
> tongue recipe in Form of Curye - which i looked at  and it was pretty
> simple and straightforward - and a more complex one from Sabina
> Welserin.
>
> Anyone know of any other "period" recipes for tongue? I'm mostly
> looking for cow's tongue, but I do have a connection to an SCA
> butcher, so i might be able to get lamb tongues or something like
> that - i want something larger than bird tongues and not pork, as it
> will be an alternative for those at the feast who don't eat pig meat.

Have you checked these files in the Florilegium?
exotic-meats-msg  (70K)  4/ 6/01    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans,
ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice, cat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/exotic-meats-msg.html
organ-meats-msg   (96K)  4/30/01    Period cooking of organ meats.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/organ-meats-msg.html

The first contains some info about parrots' or flamingo's tongues.

The second includes several period tongue recipes, including a German
one, which may be the one from Sabina Welserin (is this Ein New
Kochbuch?) that you mention. It also includes this one from
Le Menagier de Paris:

> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:33:40 -0500
> From: collette at kricket.net (colette waters)
> Subject: Re: SC - Wanted:  Period recipes for Organ Meats - particularly Heart
>
> Oh I forgot the "period part" from Le Menagier de Paris
> "Item, when gutting it, you first remove the dainties, which are the
> c...ns{letters missing [JH], which include the flesh of the nape between
> neck and shoulders, vein from the heart, liver, ect. And these dainties
> are parboiled, then cooked and eaten with hot sauce."
> Also
> "Fresh beef tongue should be parboiled, skinned, larded and roasted, and
> eaten with a cameline sauce"
> Also good recipe for smoked tongue in Sabina Welserin and wonderful
> headcheese in EIN NEW KOCHBUCH Rumpolt
>
> Begga Elisabeth

Stefan