[Sca-cooks] pesto help!

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Wed Sep 5 18:32:30 PDT 2001

Wash and dry basil
Peel garlic.
Toast pine nuts
Grate parmesan cheese (don't use the "fake" kraft stuff...)
Find yourself some nice *dark* olive oil that tastes like olives, not the
light bertoli kinda thing...

I like to use the robot-coupe (cuisinart) to "build" the pesto if I'm in a
hurry.  Gives a good emulsion too, though doing in it with a mortar and
pestle (sp?) is *much* better.

Put the basil in the robot-coupe, put garlic, pine nuts and parmesan.  Add
a little bit of oil.  Turn the thing on, let it do it's thing.  Add a
little oil, until it reaches the consistency you like.

In a glass jar, it'll keep in the frig 7-10 days.  To freeze, I kinda like
to put the pesto in ice cube maker, then once frozen, pack them in
ziplocks.  Frozen is never the same though

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout