[Sca-cooks] pesto help!

Nambeanntan at aol.com Nambeanntan at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 18:34:40 PDT 2001

>Help! Help!
>
>We have a large quantity of basil in the backyard and it's beginning to
>bolt- and I can't find my pesto recipe! Does anyone have a pesto recipe
>that would make up easily and freeze?
>
>soon to be overrun in plums too,

'>Lainie
The amounts are variable depending on individual tastes.
2 cups basil leaves
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
whirled in a blender
olive oil, enough to thin out the basil mix.
grated cheese.
Freeze the pesto in ice cube trays then pop them into baggies until needed.

You could also make jewelry with the basil.
Strip the center vein from the leaf, take a couple of handfuls and simmer
them with as little water as possible until they have broken down (chopping
helps speed things up).  When cool enough to handle take small bits and roll
it into a ball between thumb and forefinger. Place on a string, keeping them
seperated, hang until completely dry. Then they can be used as any other kind
of bead.  The look is that of a carved wooden bead that smells great.

Don't forget to save some seeds for next season.

The spent flower stalks work up great in holiday centerpieces, just hit them
with a spray of gold or silver paint.