[Sca-cooks] Tongue

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 19:34:12 PDT 2001

On 5 Sep 2001, at 13:42, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Anyone know of any other "period" recipes for tongue? I'm mostly
> looking for cow's tongue, but I do have a connection to an SCA
> butcher, so i might be able to get lamb tongues or something like that
> - i want something larger than bird tongues and not pork, as it will
> be an alternative for those at the feast who don't eat pig meat.

Granado has some recipes for cow's tongue pastries -- an
empanada and another in puff pastry.  They're boiled, then baked in
the pie with bacon and spices.  He also has some recipes for calf's
tongue -- stuffed with meat, cheese, bacons, eggs, and garlic, and
then roasted; and a couple of stews.  I don't have time to translate
them right now, but could do so when I get back from my vacation,
if you're interested and can wait until then.

Oh, but you want no pork.  Sorry, none of these qualify.  :-(

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net