[Sca-cooks] Tongue

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 13:42:02 PDT 2001

Searching old messages to this list, I have found references to one
tongue recipe in Form of Curye - which i looked at  and it was pretty
simple and straightforward - and a more complex one from Sabina
Welserin.

Anyone know of any other "period" recipes for tongue? I'm mostly
looking for cow's tongue, but I do have a connection to an SCA
butcher, so i might be able to get lamb tongues or something like
that - i want something larger than bird tongues and not pork, as it
will be an alternative for those at the feast who don't eat pig meat.

Also, would one cow's tongue be enough for two tables of 8 each, when
served in the Second Course, after a Course of  Entremets, with
another meat dish, a couple sauces, two vegetable dishes, a grain
dish, and a few other things? Or would i need a whole tongue for each
table? My budget for 90 people is $300 - the boned pork legs in the
Second Course will cost around $50, chicken in the First Course will
be between $35 & $40, and i will have one more meat dish in the First
Course...

Thanks,
Anahita / Subaytila